One of the main sources of income was the sale of cattle, providing substantial funds for the construction of fine half-timbered houses for the local merchants.
In 1720, Frederick IV ordered the rebuilding of Odense Palace, partly on the foundations of the 13th century St. I Ældre Sagen kæmper vi for, at ingen skal føle sig ensomme. frau gesucht kostenlos Duisburg Det gør vi sammen med Folkebevægelsen mod ensomhed.Hans’s Monastery, and the construction of St Hans’s Church by the Knights Hospitallers.An 8 kilometre (5.0 mi) long, 7.5 metre (25 ft) deep canal from Odense Harbour to Odense Fjord was built between 17 to facilitate the growth of Odense as a port city, radically increasing its level of trade and population.
Fitness dating Hedensted
The town's other old churches are St Mary's (Vor Frue Kirke) and St John's (Skt. Greyfriars Monastery (Gråbrødre Kloster) was founded by the Franciscans in 1279.In 1482 Bishop Karl Rønnov brought the German printer Johann Snell to Odense to print a short prayer book, Breviarium Ottoniense, considered to be the first work to be printed in Scandinavia.Canute IV of Denmark, generally considered to be the last Viking king, was murdered by unruly peasants, discontent with the high taxes he imposed on the town, in Odense's St Alban's Priory on 10 July 1086.The priory no longer exists, although a church has been situated on the site since about 900.From the 1840s, the city enjoyed a period of rapid expansion beyond its traditional boundaries, becoming Denmark's second largest city.
The city gates were demolished in 1851 and soon afterwards development extended to the area south of the river.The territory, previously part of the vast Archbishopric of Hamburg, was created a Catholic diocese in 988.The first recorded bishops of Odense were Odinkar Hvide and Reginbert, who was consecrated by Archbishop Æthelnoth of Canterbury, in 1022.Odense's Odinstårnet was one of the tallest towers in Europe when built in 1935 but was destroyed by the Nazis during World War II.The University of Southern Denmark was established in 1966.